So ...
Here I am ... decidedly doing something different. Well, sorta.
I've been trying to lose weight for most of my adult life. With the exception of the time I spent pregnant (3 kids since 2003 means that does add up!) I have tried various and innumberable weight loss "plans". In the last 15 years or so I feel like I've tried most of the gimmicks with various levels of success ... in the beginning.
For a layperson who has no formal training in nutrition or diet I have a disgusting amount of knowledge about the number of calories in a fat gram and the glycemic index. In truth ... I feel like a failure ... I feel like I "know" what I'm supposed to do ... and still don't do it ...
I've been toying with the idea of cutting back, WAAAAAAY back on carbs. I rarely eat white bread or pasta as it is, but what if I really cut back ... went low or (gasp!) no carb for a while? My goal is obviously to lose weight, but I thought what if I could cut down on the cravings? I'm a true carb-aholic ... bread, pasta, potatoes, bagels, chips ... I can't get enough. And portion control is ok in theory for a while ... but I find all I can do is think about when the next meal is due to show up!
I've been tossing this idea around for a few days ... maybe a week. And last night my sister sends me the following link:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/response-to-nytimes-the-fat-trap/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=button&fb_source=message
Total light bulb moment for me. I'd heard the science behind it before ... but never really paid attention. Now it's time. I've been told by my doctor that I have metabolic syndrom and if I don't do something I will have diabetes. Both of my parents are diabetics (dad's been insulin dependant for years) as are both my grandmothers. How much larger does the writing on the wall need to get???
I'm 37 years old and 5'2" tall.
I weigh 173.8 lbs for the last time in my life.
Today I put down the carbs.
T
No comments:
Post a Comment